Sockathon! Posted on 25 Mar 12:06 , 0 comments
It's time for another fundraiser! Knitters are some of the most generous people I know, from chemo caps and prayer shawls to sweaters for penguins and knitted knockers for breast cancer survivors, we're always ready to knit for a good cause. My good cause is Clothes to Kids. Their mission is to provide new and quality used clothing
to low-income or in crisis school-age children in Pinellas County, free of charge. I used to volunteer for them at the Clearwater store in my pre-Stash days and I was very impressed with the organization. Instead of simply giving children donated clothes they have a "store" where the children can pick out a week's wardrobe including new socks and underwear, shoes, a jacket, and a few accessories. Most of the clothing is donated but they always get new socks and underwear. That's where we knitters come in.
Sockathon is a way for us to knit socks for a cause. Each participating knitter will gather pledges from their friends and family for each pair of socks they will knit between April 1 and June 30. The socks do not need to be donated, but you can should you so choose. In order for the socks to count towards your goal they must be:
1. Cast on and finished during the Sockathon period. Please post photos of the cast on and finished pair to one of our social media accounts with #sockathon. You may also email the photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Socks must be at least the size to fit a school age child--no baby booties!
1. Pledges can be collected as you go or when you're finished. Your pledger may also make a donation directly on the Clothes to Kids website. There is a spot to indicate how the donation should be used and a dedication or gift. Please have your donor indicate "to purchase socks" and the name of the knitter and sockathon. Have them print a copy and give to you. This method will also give them a tax deductible receipt.
2. A clothing drive will be held from June 18 (WWKIP day) through July 1. Here is list of acceptable donations. They can be dropped off at Stash during the drive.
3. A tip jar and an option to "roundup" your purchases will be available during Sockathon.
4. We will also conduct a Sockathon Chinese Auction. Look for details later.
5. There will be prizes for most money raised, most socks knit, and most socks donated (hand knit). The first prize will be awarded by July 15, the other two will be awarded on July 1, at our anniversary party.
I plan to knit nine pair, each with a different pattern or technique.
If you don't know how to knit socks there will be several classes and workshops throughout Sockathon. If you don't want to knit socks, please consider pledging to one of the knitters.
A pledge sheet can be picked up in the shop, downloaded here, or I will email you one if you request it. Mskristinknits@stashstpete.com